Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: OT: Power Conditioners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    OT: Power Conditioners

    Does anybody use
    Last edited by cradeldorf; November 15th, 2012 at 03:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Cradeldorf, the first things to have checked are-

    1. the connections in your power outlet

    2. the house earthing point AND its cable and connections.

    Don't tinker here, get a qualified person to check them for you.

    If these two things are OK then a lot of outside shit will not affect your system.

    If you still have a problem it is probably cheaper and easier to to use a power conditioner than it is to get your Power Utility to fix up the supply.

    I have a hum/buzz problem that varies when I wiggle the power plug in the socket. Tightening the connections in the outlet will improve/fix things but I will also check the Earth and Neutral connections at my switchboard and at the Ground Stake or Pipe.

    AGAIN, this is not something for the adventurous amateur to be doing.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Cradeldorf, the first things to have checked are-

    1. the connections in your power outlet

    2. the house earthing point AND its cable and connections.

    Don't tinker here, get a qualified person to check them for you.
    Why? It's not like a person is going to get shocked by a ground. Even if an applience is shorted, no current will be flowing if the mains (breakers) are off.

    Is Australia wired differently than the US? Is it like UK power...... they do some weird stuff.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Why? It's not like a person is going to get shocked by a ground. Even if an applience is shorted, no current will be flowing if the mains (breakers) are off.

    Is Australia wired differently than the US? Is it like UK power...... they do some weird stuff.
    Well, if we're dealing with post early 70's wiring installed under the National Electrical Code, you're probably right.

    But, there remain in the USA millions of homes that were wired pre-code. Some early electricians knew very little more about their trade than they knew of space travel, chasing their work should really be left to a competent, INSURED, electrician.

    I've seen some wiring in older homes that would prevent me from sleeping at night if me or any of my loved ones even lived next door say nothing of living in the affected homes. These are some situations where assuming the lines are dead because the breakers are turned off is the shortest path to an unforgettable jolt or much much worse.

    Just my .02......................... don't wanna hear about any of ya gettin zapped.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    I lived out in the country at the end of the power line, and was trying to weld up a dune buggy during the winter months. Everyday at exactly 4:30 until 6:00, I would suddenly not be able to lay down a welding bead, the electrode would stick, and the welds looked even worse than usual. The power company said that I was having a brown-out once everyone came home after work, and turned on their stoves to cook dinner at the same time.

    And talking about bad wiring, my new to us 50 year old house developed ground water infiltration last summer after the wettest spring on record and the basement which looked like it had never been wet flooded with no sump pump. I removed a chunk of concrete and dug a sump hole, installed the pump, and plugged it into the grounded outlet and walked away from the pump. A couple of weeks later, I noticed that there was a fog coming out of the full of water sump pit, put my finger into the water, noticing that it was boiling hot, and grabbed the sump pump by the power cord, receiving a very good 110 volt shock surging throughout my entire body.

    I unplugged the pump, pulled it out and discovered a coating of lime had grown all over the pump. I replaced it with another and this time I notice that the new pump would hum, even though it was turned off, got out my volt meter and discovered that the neutral and hot wires were reversed on the outlet. This was never a problem as long as a 2 pronged double insulated appliance was plugged into the outlet, but once a grounded plug was plugged in, it created a dead short to ground, but not enough to blow the 20 amp panel fuse.

    There should be a law forbidding homeowners from working on their houses. Stepping down off of soap box.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    There should be a law forbidding homeowners from working on their houses. Stepping down off of soap box.
    Sorry, I can't agree with that....... Although, I think Bill Engval is on to something with thinking that some people should wear a sign.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Well, if we're dealing with post early 70's wiring installed under the National Electrical Code, you're probably right.
    Well my 1959 house seems to be okay. I think most of the wiring is original, although, the previous owner did do some work on it........ which from what I can see was to install a breaker box that was meant as a sub-panel. I think it had 8 slots with no mains, and I beleive the limit is 6 with no mains. That's been replaced now. I had a friend do it, that used to be an electrician but carpel tunnel prevented him from continuing. I now have a dedicated line for my washer and dryer....... so they don't hum when I have my stereo on :-)

    I do have two (that I know of) splices that are taped up, that I'd like to get fixed. I also have a plug in the living room that I beleive is it's own circuit that is grounded...... conveniently it's on the end of the living room with my TV and Stereo. The previous owners only had a lamp there, Though. It looks like it was added later, as the wire is newer.

    Some of my plugs aren't grounded, and some were grounded at the box, but still had two prong plugs. I've replaced some of them with 3 prongs (grounded) plugs. Those that didn't ground got 3 prong GFI's which is ok by code.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    I raised the point re the operating hours of local industry because this relates directly to the ambient noise levels at your location. Industry not operating would result in a more quite/better listening environment(reduced factory and traffic noise) with a discernable improvement in the dynamic range of audio heard in the room. Just think of having a conversation in a bar when it is busy and when it is quiet. Ambient noise level can be measured with a cheap noise meter or a microphone and suitable Freeware. Possibly something you could do first-up.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Does anybody use a power conditioner? the reason I ask is that I'm still having problems with getting good sound during weekdays. On Saturday night and Sunday my system sounds better than during the week. I live in a pretty heavily industrial area and think that has something to do with it.
    I've never used a power conditioner so I'll let others answer that part of your inquiry. I can tell you that many people's stereo systems sound better on a Saturday night (as you mentioned yours does)--usually because of the "refreshments" being served.
    P.S. I do, however, use hair conditioner and would be happy to help with any questions in that regard.....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Power Conditioners

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Does anybody use a power conditioner? the reason I ask is that I'm still having problems with getting good sound during weekdays. On Saturday night and Sunday my system sounds better than during the week. I live in a pretty heavily industrial area and think that has something to do with it.
    Check your blood pressure during your listening sessions. You are likely less stressed during weekend sessions. Your physiology likely has more to do with the variations you're hearing than your electrical mains.

    Another easily established data point would be to measure and keep a record of your AC mains voltage during listening sessions. It is possible that your service area suffers voltage drop when the nearby industries are at high/peak demand.

    Also, Mah makes several valid and excellent points in his post.

    Finally, it's human nature for many folks to "hear what they believe". If you believe a power conditioner will make a difference for you, you might very well hear an improvement. Yet without scientific data to illustrate the anomalies in the line and the changes the conditioner imparts, the reality of the claim would be highly subjective IMO.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.